Institutional Effectiveness Council
The Institutional Effectiveness Council (IEC), under the direction of the Office of Academic Affairs (OAA), serves as a steering committee to provide oversight for institutional effectiveness functions across academic, support, and administrative units.
The IEC provides recommendations for guiding institutional effectiveness policies and procedures by promoting a continuous improvement framework to achieve expected outcomes and to meet related SACSCOC expectations, including the following objective set forth in the IEC Bylaws:
- 1.2.a. Student Learning Outcomes
The IEC provides guidance in developing and implementing appropriate policies and procedures to enhance the assessment of student learning outcomes for all degree programs, stand-alone academic certificates, and units defined as academic support and student services. [Note: Oversight for general education program assessment is provided by the Faculty Senate Integrated Learning Core Committee with support from the Office of Institutional Effectiveness.]
- 1.2.b. Administrative/Operational Outcomes
The IEC provides guidance in developing and implementing appropriate policies and procedures to enhance the assessment of administrative/operational outcomes in conjunction with the university’s strategic planning annual reporting requirements.
- 1.2.c. Program Review
The IEC provides oversight for the academic program review process, which is required for all degree programs and stand-alone academic certificates. The IEC recognizes those degree programs with specialized accreditation may be eligible for a modified program review. In addition, administrative program review is handled on an ad hoc basis as requested by the administration or the unit.
To accomplish the purpose, the IEC is charged with the following:
- Advising the Office of Institutional Effectiveness (OIE) for opportunities to strengthen the institution’s continuous improvement activities.
- Assisting in reviews of annual outcomes activities (i.e., plans, reports, etc.) to provide a comprehensive feedback loop.
- Communicating with associated groups across campus to promote assessment efforts and to help inform of processes, timelines, etc.
- Leading the internal review process for academic and administrative program reviews, including approving external reviewers, serving as chair for an internal committee, and developing recommendations based on the internal review.
- Recommending considerations for professional development opportunities related to institutional effectiveness (e.g., workshops, speakers, topical resources).
- Reviewing policies, procedures, structures, and systems periodically to seek opportunities for improvements across all facets of institutional effectiveness.
- Serving on functional IEC work groups to accomplish the charge.
The IEC membership is representative of the academic, support, and administrative units so as to promote collaboration, enhance communication, and facilitate institutional effectiveness activities. IEC members serve a three-year term that may be renewed; appointments begin with the fall semester.
|Institutional Effectiveness||Sandi Gillilan||Associate Vice Provost||-|
|Associate Dean Academic Council||Craig Harvey||Associate Dean, Engineering||2021-24|
Faculty Representatives (appointed by college)
|College of Agriculture||Richard Cooper||Professor, Animal Science||2021-24|
|College of Art & Design||Rod Parker||Professor, Art||2021-24|
|College of Business||Daniel Whitman||Associate Professor, Management||2021-24|
|College of Coast & Environment||John White||Professor, Oceanography & Coastal Sciences||2020-23|
|College of Engineering||Laura Ikuma||Associate Professor, Industrial Engineering||2022-25|
|College of Human Sciences & Education||Alex Garn||Professor, Kinesiology||2022-25|
|College of Humanities & Social Sciences||Heather Rankin||Associate Professor, Sociology||2021-24|
|School of Mass Communication||Jenee Slocum||Professor, Mass Communication||2020-23|
|College of Music & Dramatic Arts||Jim Murphy||Professor, Theatre||2020-23|
|College of Science||Grover Waldrop||Professor, Biological Sciences||2022-25|
|School of Veterinary Medicine||Masami Yoshimura||Associate Professor, Comparative Biomedical Sciences||2021-24|
Faculty Senate Integrative Learning Core Committee Representative
|College of Humanities & Social Sciences||TBD||2022-25|
Support/Administrative Unit Representatives
|Academic Programs & Support Services||Clay Benton||University Registrar||2020-23|
|LSU Libraries||Sigrid Kelsey||Director||2021-24|
|Digital & Continuing Education||TBD||2022-25|
|Finance & Administration||Bernie Braun||Director, Institutional Research||2020-23|
|Research & Economic Development||TBD||2022-25|
|Communications & University Relations||TBD||2022-25|
Ex officio Members (non-voting)
|Past IEC Co-Chair|
|Institutional Effectiveness||Tara Rose||Director of Assessment|