Career & Major Resources for Incoming Students
Career decision making is an important first step for all incoming students. After exploring career options, you will feel more confident choosing a major, attending orientation, and scheduling courses each semester. The LSU Olinde Career Center offers a variety of resources for discovering interests, exploring major and career options, and identifying next steps for achieving career goals. We have outlined a few resources below for recently accepted LSU students.
3 Steps for Exploring Majors and Careers
Congratulations on your acceptance! To be well-prepared for major and scheduling conversations you will encounter at orientation, all students are encouraged to take the following steps:
- Take the free, online FOCUS 2 Career Assessment to explore your interests as they relate to majors and careers. Register your FOCUS 2 account here using Your Access Code “tigers” and your LSU email address, including @lsu.edu. See more details below on the FOCUS 2.
- Explore majors at LSU organized by interest areas.
- Complete the Research Careers Workbook (coming soon!) to help you come to a major and career decision.
Additional Resources for Career and Major Exploration
What Can I Do With This Major? Whether exploring multiple majors or searching for information about your chosen field, this site will help you connect majors to careers.
- O*NET Online - This website contains detailed descriptions of the world of work helpful in exploring careers.
- Four-Year Career Plan - Use this helpful guide to get your career on track from the start with tips and tasks for each year in college.
- FOCUS 2 Career Assessment - This online, interactive career and education planning
system combines self-assessment, career exploration, and decision making into one
comprehensive program. It will help you map out a career path and select the right
LSU major to support your career goals. Register your FOCUS 2 account here using Your Access Code “tigers” and your LSU email address, including @lsu.edu. This
- Identifies the major areas of study that match student assessment results.
- Integrates the results of student interests, personality, values and skills assessments.
- Helps students narrow results to plan their education and career
- Stores each student's results in an online Student Portfolio.
Review additional career decision making and choosing a major resources.
Handshake is LSU's modern, online career system. It personalizes career recommendations based on your interests and network, helping you discover new opportunities, companies, on-campus events— and build a meaningful career. Incoming students will have Handshake accounts created for them after registering for classes. After this date, students can login using their myLSU credentials on the Handshake website, or the Handshake Jobs & Careers app.