Ross and St. George's Universities
Special Action of the LSU Board of Supervisors has authorized an exchange program that makes it possible for veterinary students in their final year at other schools of veterinary medicine to attend the LSU School of Veterinary Medicine for short periods of study. Such visiting, non-matriculated students register for 15 semester hours (1-5 weeks) in 5400-level Year IV blocks. Inquiries should be addressed to the Year IV coordinator in the Office of Student and Academic Affairs.
Students from Ross and St. George's Universities arrive in January, May, June, and September. The specific start dates vary each year.
LSU Vet Med holds a two-day orientation for each incoming group of students.
International students must stay in contact with the LSU International Service Office and complete CPT paperwork for all externships at least a month prior to the first day of the externship. International students must provide proof of insurance to the International Services Office or they will be automatically charged for insurance. Each semester, there is a due date provide this information.
International students also cannot schedule vacation or an out-rotation (externship, special topics, EQ AMB, EQ RTP, EQ BFM, EZHM ZMS, EZHM EAM) as their last rotation.
Ross and SGU students enrolled as non-matriculating students are considered LSU students during their time at LSU Vet Med, and once we set the students up with Tiger Cards, students have access to the LSU UREC (recreational facility) and the LSU Student Health Center, as well as other LSU programs and facilities.
Ross and SGU students do not declare a career track with dictated rotations because the amount of electives the student takes allows him/her to "track" in rotations that he or she thinks would best benefit his/her future career.
- 2 blocks 5456 CAM; Small Animal Medicine
- 1 block 5463 CAS ST; Small Animal Surgery Soft Tissue
- 1 block 5463 CAS O; Small Animal Surgery Orthopedic
- 1 block 5452 PATH; Diagnostic Pathology
- 1 block 5454 RAD; Radiology and Diagnostic Imaging
- 1 block 5463 ANES; Clinical Anesthesiology
- 1 block 5463 SA EM; Small Animal Emergency
- 2 blocks 5458 EQ; Equine Medicine and Surgery
- 1 block 5463 EQ; Equine Medicine and Surgery AND
- 1 block 5463 Lg An Em; Large Animal Emergency
- 1 block Large Animal Rotation (please specify which large animal rotation you would like to take on your preference form)
- 4 blocks 5462 EXTERN; Externship*
*You can take an additional 1 or 2 blocks in your elective portfolio
There are no alternatives to the required rotations (e.g., you may not take community practice in lieu of small animal surgery).