George W. Barineau Jr. Professor
Coordinator of Undergraduate Studies
Room 105, RNR Building
Baton Rouge, LA 70803
phone: (225) 578-0012
- B.S. in Fisheries and Wildlife Management, Minor: Chemistry – Lake Superior State University, 1997
- M.S. in Wildlife and Fisheries Resources – West Virginia University, 2001
- Ph.D. in Wildlife and Fisheries Science, Minor: Applied Statistics – Louisiana State University, 2005
- RNR 1002 - Issues in Natural Resource Management
- RNR 4101 – Capstone: Natural Resource Management, Policy, and Human Dimensions
- RNR 4106 - Techniques in Limnology and Fisheries
- RNR 4107 - Human Dimensions In Natural Resources
- ENTM/RNR 4130 - Introduction to Aquatic Entomology
- RNR 7013 - Wildlife Population Dynamics
- ENTM/RNR 7030 – Aquatic Entomology
- RNR 7036 - Advanced Topics in Renewable Natural Resources Biometrics and Management
- RNR 7070 - Emerging techniques and current trends in data analysis in ecology and natural resources management
I am freshwater ecologist interested in quantitatively describing and statistically modeling the factors that structure aquatic communities, including fish, invertebrates, and microbes, and applying these relationships toward stewardship of natural resources. Specifically, my research is following these research avenues:
- I am interested in the further refinement of stream ecology and application of emerging approaches to stream assessment.
- I am interested in the integration and application of modern statistical theory and techniques into natural resource research and management.
- I am very interested in the environmental and biological factors that influence aquatic microbes and invertebrates, which, in turn, influence fishes and amphibians.
- Restoration of floodplain-river connectivity and consequences to fishes, water quality, invertebrates, and zooplankton.
- Status and ecological implications of feral hogs (Sus scrofa) in Louisiana.
- Status and ecology of Gulf sturgeon (Acipenser oxyrinchus desotoi) in Louisiana waters.
- The relationship among land use, microhabitats, ecoregion, fishes, mussels, and macroinvertebrates with regard to the development of a holistic stream ecology approach.
- Factors influencing introgression of stocked Florida strain largemouth bass (Micropterus salmoides floridanus) with indigenous northern strain largemouth bass(Micropterus salmoides salmoides).
- Factors structuring water quality and fish assemblages in the Atchafalaya River Basin.
- Sweany, R.R., C.D. DeRobertis, M.D. Kaller, and K.E. Damann. 2022. Intra-specific growth and aflatoxin inhibition responses to atoxigenic Aspergillus flavus: Evidence of secreted, inhibitory substance(s) in biocontrol. Phytopathology https://doi.org/10.1094/PHYTO-01-21-0022-R
- Hess, C., L. Little, C. Brown, M. Kaller, and F. Galvez. 2022. Transgenerational effects of parental crude oil exposure on the morphology of adult Fundulus grandis. Aquatic Toxicology, 106209. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aquatox.2022.106209
- Ritenour, K., S.L. King, S. Collins, and M.D. Kaller. 2022. Factors affecting nest success of colonial nesting waterbirds in southwest Louisiana. Estuaries and Coasts. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12237-021-00993-4
- Wahl, C.F., R. Diaz, and M. Kaller. 2021. Invasive floating fern limits aerial colonization and alters community structure of aquatic insects. Wetlands 41: 60 https://doi.org/10.1007/s13157-021-01457-y
- Midway, S.R., K.A. Erickson, M.D. Kaller, and W. Kelso. 2021. Long-term monitoring informs data-poor marine species in the northern Gulf of Mexico. Marine and Freshwater Research. doi.org/10.1071/MF20341
- Bampasidou, M., M.D. Kaller, and S.M. Tanger. 2021. Stakeholder’s Risk Perceptions of Wild Pigs: Is there a gender difference? Agriculture 11: 329. https://doi.org/10.3390/agriculture11040329
- Wahl, C.F., R. Diaz, and M. Kaller. 2021. Nutrients enhance the negative impact of an invasive floating plant on water quality and a submerged macrophyte. Journal of Aquatic Plant Management 59: 57-65.
- Wahl, C. F., M. Kaller, and R. Diaz. 2021. Invasion of free-floating macrophyte alters freshwater macroinvertebrate community structure with implications for bottom-up processes. Hydrobiologia 848: 2523-2537
- Hartman, K.J. and M.D. Kaller. Accepted. Influences of forest practices on fish and their food webs. In Dolloff, C.A. and R. Danehy, editors. Reflections on Forest Management: Can Fish and Fiber Coexist? American Fisheries Society.
- Rutt, C., M.D. Kaller, and P.S. Stouffer. 2021. Disturbed Amazonian forests support diminished breeding bird communities. The Condor: Ornithological Applications.
- Midway, S., M. Robertson, S. Flinn, and M. Kaller. 2020. Comparing multiple comparisons: Practical guidance for choosing the best multiple comparison test. PeerJ 8:e10387 https://doi.org/10.7717/peerj.10387
- Budnick, W.R., C.P. Bonvillain, S. Lott, and M.D. Kaller. 2020. Breaking the Mississippi River barrier.: Range extensions of Faxonius palmeri subspecies and overlap with rare crayfish species in Louisiana. Southeastern Naturalist 19:152-160.
- Rutt, C., K. Mokross, M. Kaller, and P. Stouffer. 2020. Experimental forest fragmentation alters interaction networks of Amazonian mixed-species flocks. Biological Conservation
- Hamilton, S.G, S.L. King, G. Della Russo, and M.D. Kaller. 2019. Effect of hydrologic, geomorphic, and vegetative conditions on avian communities in the Middle Rio Grande of New Mexico. Wetlands 39: 1029-1042
- Kaller, M.D., T.E. Pasco, W.E. Kelso, and D.G. Kelly. 2019 Factors affecting black bass species composition in Louisiana Gulf Slopoe and Lower Mississippi Alluvial Valley streams. Pages 129-145 in Quinn, J. and M. Siepker, editors. Managing Centrarchid Fisheries in Rivers and Streams. American Fisheries Society Symposium 87, Bethesda, MD.
- Reuter, C.M., M.D. Kaller, C.E. Walsh, and W.E. Kelso. 2019. Fish assemblage response to altered dendritic connectivity in the Red River basin, central Louisiana. American Midland Naturalist 181: 63-80
- Tanger, S.M., M. Kaller, and R. Vlosky. 2019. Landowner concerns about feral hogs. Louisiana Agriculture 62: 22-23.
- Elsey, R.M., E. Ledet, M.D. Kaller, B. Landry, and M. Miller. 2018. Alligator Mississippiensis (American Alligator) tolerance of potentially toxic non-native prey. Herpetological Review 49: 532-534
- Budnick, W.R., S.B. Adams, W.E. Kelso, and M.D. Kaller. 2018. A multi-gear protocol for sampling crayfish assemblages in Gulf of Mexico coastal streams. Hydrobiologia 822: 55-67.
- Garritson, M.E., K.S. Stair, M. Kaller, and R.V. Rohli. 2018. A decade review of an agricultural residence college. NACTA Journal Abstracts 62: 62.
- Garritson, M.E., K.S. Stair, M. Kaller, and R.V. Rohli. 2018. The benefits of living in an agricultural residence college. NACTA Journal Abstracts 62: 43
- Kaller, M.D., J.C. Herron, A.R. Harlan, T.E. Pasco, and W.E. Kelso. 2017. Diel differences in electrofishing catch in shallow, turbid floodplain waterbodies. Journal of the Southweastern Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies 3: 39-45.
- Elsey, R.M., D. LeJeune, B. Landry, K. Reed, M. Miller, and M.D. Kaller. 2017. Prevalence and details of polydactylism in the American Alligator, Alligator mississipiensis, in Louisiana, USA. Herpetological Conservation and Biology 12: 342-349.
- Mercer, N., M.D. Kaller, and M.J. Stout. 2017. Diversity of arthropods in farmed wetlands in the Gulf of Mexico coastal plain and effects of detrital subsidies. Journal of Freshwater Ecology 32: 163-178.
- Oliver, D., W.E. Kelso, and M.D. Kaller. 2017. Movements and habitat use of southeastern blue sucker Cycleptus meridionalis in the lower Pearl River, Louisiana. American Midland Naturalist 177: 263-276
- Jónsson, J.E., S.J. Lúðvíksson, and M.D. Kaller. 2017. The early birds and the rest: Do first nesters represent the entire colony? Polar Biology 40: 413-421
- Pasco, T.E., M.D. Kaller, A.R. Harlan, W.E. Kelso, and D.A. Rutherford. 2016. Predicting floodplain hypoxia based on flood characteristics in a large, regulated southern floodplain river system, the Atchafalaya River, Louisiana, USA. River Research and Applications 32: 845-855
- Markos, P.D., M.D. Kaller, and W.E. Kelso. 2016. Channel stability and the temporal structure of coastal stream aquatic insect assemblages. Fundamental and Applied Limnology 188:187-189
- Trumbo, B.A., M.D. Kaller, A.R. Harlan, T. Pasco, W.E. Kelso, and D.A. Rutherford. 2016. Effectiveness of point versus continuous electrofishing for fish assemblage assessment in shallow, turbid aquatic habitats. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 36: 398-406.
- Klimesh, D., Y.J. Xu, A. Gossman, and M.D. Kaller. 2015. Responses of stream benthic macroinvertebrate communities in a low-gradient, subtropical watershed to timber harvesting. Riparian Ecology and Conservation 2: 72-82.
- Kaller, M.D., R.F. Keim, B.L. Edwards, A.R. Harlan, T. Pasco, W.E. Kelso, and D.A. Rutherford. 2015. Aquatic vegetation mediates the relationship between hydrologic connectivity and water quality in a managed floodplain. Hydrobiologia 760: 29-41.
- Miller, B.A., W.E. Kelso, and M.D. Kaller. 2015. Diet partitioning in a diverse Centrarchid assemblage in the Atchafalaya River Basin, Louisiana. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 144: 780-791
- Daniel, W., M.D. Kaller, and J. Jack. 2015. Nitrogen stable isotopes as an alternative for assessing mountaintop removal mining’s impact on headwater streams. Fundamental and Applied Limnology 186: 193-202.
- Daniel, W., K.M Brown, and M.D. Kaller. 2014. A hybrid Tiered Aquatic Life Unit (Hybrid-TALU) bioassessment model for Gulf of Mexico coastal streams. Fisheries Management and Ecology 21: 491-502
- Laborde, L., F. Rohwer, M.D. Kaller, and L.A. Reynolds. 2014. Surveying Louisiana waterfowl hunters: Open web and random mail surveys produce similar responses to attitudinal questions. Wildlife Society Bulletin. 38: 821-926
- Kuhl, A., J. Nyman, M. Kaller, and C. Green. 2013. Dispersant and salinity effects on weathering and acute toxicity of south Louisiana crude oil. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry 32: 2611-2620
- Nyman, J.A., D.M. Baltz, M.D. Kaller, P. L. Leberg, C. Parsons Richards, R.P. Romaire, and T.M. Soniat. 2013. Likely changes in habitat quality for fish and wildlife in coastal Louisiana during the next fifty years. Journal of Coastal Research Special Issue 63: 60-74.
- Pieron, M., F. Rohwer, M. Chamberlain, M. Kaller, and J. Lancaster. 2013. Breeding duck pair response to predator reduction in North Dakota. Journal of Wildlife Management 77:663-671.
- Kaller, M.D., W.E. Kelso, and J.C. Trexler. 2013. Wetland Fish Monitoring and Assessment. Pages 197-264 in J.T. Anderson, and Craig A. Davis (Eds). Wetlands Techniques. Volume 2: Organisms. Springer
- Kaller, M.D., C.E. Murphy, W.E. Kelso, and M.R. Stead. 2013. Basins for fish and ecoregions for macroinvertebrates: Different spatial scales are needed to assess Louisiana wadeable streams. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society. 142: 767-782.
- Kang, S.-R. and M.D. Kaller. 2013. Foraging habitat use of breeding barn swallow (Hirundo rustica) in farmland, estuary, and island. Open Journal of Ecology 3:30-33.
- Kelso, W.E., M.D. Kaller, and D. A. Rutherford. 2012. Chapter 9. Collection, Preservation, and Identification of Ichthyoplankton and Zooplankton. Pages 363-451 in A. V. Zale, D. L. Parrish, and T. M. Sutton, editors. Fisheries Techniques, third edition. American Fisheries Society, Bethesda, Maryland.
- Laborde, L.P., F.C. Rohwer, M.D. Kaller, and L. Reynolds. 2012. Contrasts of waterfowl hunter surveys: open web and random mail surveys produce similar policy results. Proceedings of the Annual Conference of the Southeastern Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies 66: 140-145
- Fisher, R.A., S.A. Gauthreaux, Jt., J.J. Valente, M.P. Guilfoyle, and M.D. Kaller. 2012. Comparing transect survey and WSR-88D radar methods for monitoring daily changes in stopover migrant communities. Journal of Field Ornithology 83: 61-72.
- Green, C.G., W.E. Kelso, M.D. Kaller, K. Gautreaux, and D.G. Kelly. 2012. Potential for naturalization of nonidigenous Blue Tilapia (Orechromis aureus) in coastal Louisiana marshes based on integrating thermal tolerance and field data. Wetlands 32: 717-723.
- Fisher, R.A., J.J. Valente, M.P. Guilfoyle, M.D. Kaller, S.S. Jackson, and J.T. Ratti. 2012. Bird community response to vegetation cover and composition in riparian habitats dominated by Russian Olive (Elaeagnus angustifolia). Northwest Science 86: 39-52.
- Sweany, R., K. Damann, and M.D. Kaller. 2011. Comparison of soil and corn kernel Aspergillus flavus populations: evidence for niche specialization. Phytopathology 101: 952-959.
- Kaller,M.D., W.E. Kelso, B.T. Halloran, and D.A. Rutherford. 2011. Effects of spatial scale on assessment of dissolved oxygen dynamics in the Atchafalaya River basin, Louisiana. Hydrobiologia 658: 7-15.
- Kaller, M. D. and W.E. Kelso. 2010. Chapter 1. The importance of small woody debris in stream restoration: invertebrate community diversity in lowland, subtropical streams in the Gulf of Mexico coastal plain. Pages 1-40 in Hayes, G.D. and T.S. Flores., editors. Stream Restoration: Halting Disturbances, Assisted Recovery and Managed Recovery. Nova Science Publishers, Inc., Hauppauge, New York.
- Kaller, M.D. and J. D. Hudson III. 2010. Phenological partitioning among drifting insect genera within families in a subtropical, coastal plain stream (Louisiana, USA). Journal of Freshwater Ecology 25: 607-615.
- Pierluissi, S., S.L. King, and M.D. Kaller. 2010. Waterbird nest density and nest survival in rice fields of southwestern Louisiana. Waterbirds 33:323-330.
- Anderson, J., M.D. Kaller, and R.G. Thomas. 2010. Unwelcome guest for dinner - Asian carp. Louisiana Agriculture 53: 13-14.
- Kaller, M.D. and D.R. Reed. 2010. Invasive feral swine in Louisiana. Louisiana Agriculture 53: 16-18.
- Klimesh, D., Y.J. Xu, and M.D. Kaller. 2010. Changes in benthic macroinvertebrate communities following timber harvest in headwater streams of a Louisiana low-gradient watershed. TMDL 2010: Watershed Management to Improve Water Quality Proceedings, 14-17 November 2010 Hyatt Regency Baltimore on the Inner Harbor, Baltimore, Maryland ,USA.
- Perrett, A.J., M.D. Kaller, W.E. Kelso, and D.A. Rutherford. 2010. Effects of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita on sportfish community abundance in the Eastern Atchafalaya River basin, Louisiana. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 30: 511-517.
- Newell, P.J., S.L. King, and M.D. Kaller. 2009. Foraging behavior of pileated woodpeckers in partial cut and uncut bottomland hardwood forest. Forest Ecology and Management 258: 1456-1464.
- Markos, P., W. E. Kelso, and M.D. Kaller. 2009. Effects of channel stability on benthic macroinvertebrate communities southeastern Louisiana Coastal Plain stream. Bulletin of the North American Benthological Society 26: 104.
- Boswell, K.M., M.D. Kaller, J.H. Cowan, Jr., and C.A. Wilson. 2008. Evaluation of target strength-fish length equation choices for estimating estuarine fish biomass. Hydrobiologia 610: 113-123.
- Kaller, M.D., J.D. Hudson III, E.A. Achberger, and W.E. Kelso. 2007. Feral pig research in western Louisiana: Expanding populations and unforseen consequences. Human-Wildlife Conflicts 1: 168-177.
- Kaller, M. D. and W. E. Kelso. 2007. Association of macroinvertebrate assemblages with dissolved oxygen concentration and wood surface area in selected subtropical streams of the southeastern USA. Aquatic Ecology 41: 95-110.
- Kaller, M. D. and W. E. Kelso. 2006. Short-term decompositional state does not influence use of woody debris by macroinvertebrates in subtropical, coastal plain streams. Hydrobiologia 571: 157-167.
- Kaller, M. D. and W. E. Kelso. 2006. Swine activity alters invertebrate and microbial communities in a coastal watershed. The American Midland Naturalist 156: 165-179.
- Kaller, M. D. and W. E. Kelso. 2006. Occurrence of freshwater bivalves in a chronically hypoxic coastal stream. Journal of Freshwater Ecology 21: 355-357.
- Kaller, M. D. and W. E. Kelso. 2006. Effects of a small-scale clearing on habitat and macroinvertebrates of a southwestern Louisiana coastal bottomland stream. The Southwestern Naturalist 51: 143-151.
- Hartman, K. J., Kaller, M. D., Howell, J. W., and J. A. Sweka. 2005. How much do valley fills influence headwater streams? Hydrobiologia 523: 91-102.
- Kaller, M. D., Hudson III, J. D., Kelso, W. E., and L. R. Williams. 2005. Freshwater macroinvertebrate research in western Louisiana: limitations of our knowledge base. Bulletin of the North American Benthological Society 22: 587.
- Kaller, M. D. and K. J. Hartman. 2004. Evidence of a threshold level of fine sediment accumulation for altering benthic macroinvertebrate communities. Hydrobiologia 518: 95-104.
- Kaller, M. D. and W. E. Kelso. 2003. Effects of feral swine on water quality in a coastal bottomland stream. Proceedings of the Annual Conference of the Southeastern Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies 57: 291-298.
- Kaller, M. D., K. J. Hartman, and T. R. Angradi. 2001. Experimental determination of benthic macroinvertebrate metric sensitivity to fine sediment. Proceedings of the Annual Conference of Southeastern Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies 55:105-115.
- Kaller, M. D. and K. J. Hartman. 2000. The effects of sediment upon benthic macroinvertebrates in forested northern Appalachian streams. Bulletin of the North American Benthological Society 17:240-241.