International Travel Insurance and Assistance Services


International travel will revert back to the standard approval processes effective January 1, 2022. 

Extreme caution should be used if considering any travel to Ukraine, Russia, and regional neighbors (Moldova, Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, Romania, Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia) until further notice. Any such travel would need to be reviewed and approved by the International Travel Oversight Committee. The State Department has currently issued advisements against travel to a number of countries including Russia, North Caucasus, and Crimea. US citizens should be aware that US credit and debit cards no longer work in Russia and options to provide routine or emergency services to US citizens in Russia are severely limited.

High Risk Travel: The standard approval process requires an additional step for travel to a high-risk country and/or restricted regions (risk advisory levels 3 or 4).  In some instances, Covid-19 will be listed as the reason for the high-risk advisory level; in such instances, the additional approval process is still required. For more information, refer to FASOP AS-18 and the “High Risk Travel” section at the bottom of this page.    


In the Event of a International Medical or Security Emergency: Call International SOS Immediately at 215-942-8478, Membership Number: 11BCAS658364

LSU has contracted with ACE and International SOS, Inc. to provide international travel insurance and travel assistance services for University faculty, staff and students traveling abroad on University business or sponsored activities.

International travel insurance coverage is provided to all faculty, staff and students participating in University approved travel (excluding travel to the United States and Home Country) and have registered their travel in "MyTrips". To be considered University approved travel for coverage the following conditions must be met for each type of traveler: 

  • All Travelers - Must register their trip in "MyTrips" prior to departure. 
  • Employees - Must complete a Spend Authorization in Workday
  • Students - Must be enrolled at the University during travel and participate in a University led or sponsored trip (i.e. APA, Continuing Education, Volunteer LSU)
  • Guest - Host department must complete a Request for Authorization to Travel for Non-Worker (AS-516)

Faculty, Staff and Guest insurance is provided at no cost to the department. Student insurance will be charged to the cost center entered in my trips. Risk Management will contact departments with registered student travel at the end of each fiscal year to make arrangements for payment.

Faculty, Staff and Students traveling abroad should download the International SOS App or print the LSU-specific insurance card below. While this card does not have the traveler’s name on it, it will serve as the insurance card and is designed to provide the traveler’s coverage. Employees or Student group leaders may also request plastic cards to be delivered via campus mail. If specific proof of coverage is required for a visa application, please request a custom certificate of insurance

All travelers should review the security and medical assistance services available via International SOS along with information on travel destinations via the International SOS Portal.

In addition to utilizing International SOS travelers are encouraged to register with the State Department's Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). Once registered you will automatically receive the most current information the State Department compiles about the country where you will be traveling.

High Risk Travel

LSU monitors US State Department travel advisories. To mitigate the risk associated with travel to high risk regions, the university requires that all travel to countries and/or regions for which the U.S. Department of State has issued a travel advisory to be reviewed and approved by the International Travel Oversight Committee (ITOC). Detailed information on the university’s policy on travel to high risk areas can be found in FASOP AS-18.

Any travel intentions to regions or countries with U.S. Department of State advisory level of 3 or 4 must include separate approval request to ITOC.

The request forms are:

  • AS295 - Request for Travel to Restricted Regions for Individual Travelers (students or faculty)

  • AS296 – Request for Travel to Restricted Regions for Student Study Trips

  • AS297 – Faculty and Staff Emergency Contact Form

If more assistance is needed please email Zelena Williams at