Seynaeve Professor of Biblical Studies
Ph.D.: New Testament and Christian Origins, Duke University, 1989
Office: 123 Coates
Delbert Burkett obtained his Ph.D. in New Testament and Christian Origins from Duke University in 1989. In the following years, he taught at Western Kentucky University, Appalachian State University, and Lebanon Valley College. In 1996, he joined the Religious Studies faculty at LSU. From 2004 to 2007, he served as the section head for Religious Studies. From 2010 to 2016, he served as the Chair of the Department of Philosophy and Religious Studies.
Areas of Interest
Professor Burkett specializes in the history, religion, and literature of earliest Christianity. He has published two books on the New Testament title "Son of Man" and an introduction to the New Testament and the origins of Christianity. His multi-volume series on the Synoptic Problem (Rethinking the Gospel Sources), of which two volumes have been published, provides new perspectives on the literary relationship between the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, and Luke. His most recent book is The Case for Proto-Mark: A Study in the Synoptic Problem. He also edited The Blackwell Companion to Jesus.
- REL 1005 New Testament
- REL 4050 A History of God
- REL 4236 Apocalyptic Literature
- REL 4500 Seminar in Biblical Studies
- HNRS 2030 A History of Jesus
Awards and Honors
- ATLAS Grant, 2009-10
- Tiger Athletic Foundation Undergraduate Teaching Award, Honors College, 2007
- Alpha Lambda Delta Freshman Honor Society award for "superior instruction of freshman students,” 1999, 2003
- LSU Council on Research Summer Research Stipend, 1997, 2000
- Travel Grant, Southern Regional Education Board, 1992
- The Case for Proto-Mark: A Study in the Synoptic Problem. WUNT I/399. Tubingen: Mohr Siebeck, 2018.
- Rethinking the Gospel Sources, Volume 2: The Unity and Plurality of Q. Early Christianity and Its Literature 1. Atlanta: Society of Biblical Literature, 2009.
- Rethinking the Gospel Sources: From Proto-Mark to Mark. New York/London: T&T Clark International, 2004.
- An Introduction to the New Testament and the Origins of Christianity. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2002; 2nd. ed., 2019.
- The Son of Man Debate: A History and Evaluation. SNTS Monograph Series 107. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1999.
- The Son of the Man in the Gospel of John. JSNT Supplement Series 56. Sheffield Academic Press, 1991.
- The Blackwell Companion to Jesus. Edited by Delbert Burkett. Wiley-Blackwell, 2011.
Articles in Journals
- "The Transfiguration of Jesus (Mark 9:2-8): Epiphany or Apotheosis?" Journal of Biblical Literature 138 (2019): 413-32.
- "Did Jews Rinse their Hands 'with a Fist' (Mark 7.3)?" New Testament Studies 65 (2019): 139-47.
- "The Parable of the Unrighteous Steward: A Prudent Use of Mammon." New Testament Studies 64 (2018): 326-42.
- "The Return of Proto-Mark: A Response to David Neville." Ephemerides Theologicae Lovanienses 85/1 (2009): 129-49.
- "The Nontitular Son of Man: A History and Critique." New Testament Studies 40 (1994): 504-21.
- "Two Accounts of Lazarus' Resurrection in John 11." Novum Testamentum 36 (1994): 209-32.
- "Four Sahidic Songs to St. John the Evangelist." Coptic Church Review 9 (1988): 83-86.
Chapters in Edited Volumes
- “Images of Jesus: An Overview.” Pages 1-9 in The Blackwell Companion to Jesus. Edited by Delbert Burkett. Wiley-Blackwell, 2011.
- “Jesus in Luke-Acts.” Pages 47-63 in The Blackwell Companion to Jesus. Edited by Delbert Burkett. Wiley-Blackwell, 2011.
- "The Black Christ." With Kelly Brown Douglas. Pages 410-26 in The Blackwell Companion to Jesus. Edited by Delbert Burkett. Wiley-Blackwell, 2011.