Room Changes and Roommate Conflicts 

We can help you develop a roadmap to discuss your expectations while sharing a room, resolve conflicts if they arise, and ensure each individual’s rights are respected. 

Roommate Agreement

Roommates should work together to complete a Roommate Agreement during the first few week of classes. These agreements serve as a conversational starting point and should be revisited frequently as relationships with your roommate grow. Talking about expectations and concerns before they develop into conflict and being willing to compromise help pave the way for successful relationships. 

Room Changes

We want you to be happy and safe in your home on campus. If at anytime you are in danger or unsafe, please contact LSU Police immediately. Hall front desks are open or have on-call phone numbers posted to contact on-call staff as needed.

If you currently live on campus and want to request a room or building change, meet with your in-hall professional staff for options and compete the room change request form in the housing portal to begin the room change process. 

Residence Coordinators (RCs) are the professional staff members living in campus communities. Elevate your roommate concern to your RC if your attempts at mediation and conflict resolution were unsuccessful. Your RC can help facilitate difficult conversations with your roommate and can help you go through the room change process if needed.

Parent Involvement in Roommate Issues

At the LSU Department of Residential Life, we focus on enhancing the student’s living and learning experience. To this end, we invite parents and family members to be partners in your student’s success on campus.

While a parent’s first reaction may be to ‘fix it’ for the student, remember problem solving is a life-long skill that reaches far beyond academia. As a parent, encourage your student to resolve problems by using the on-campus resources available to them both inside the Department of Residential Life and beyond.

If you feel a situation warrants your involvement, escalate it to the community’s professional in-hall staff, the Residence Coordinator (RC), rather than your student’s RA. Remember RAs are students too, have a lot on their plates, and are under no obligation to give out their personal cell phone numbers.