Check In & Check Out
Nicholson Gateway Apartments open Thursday, August 15, 2019.
Residence halls open Saturday, August 17, 2019. View the Move-in Day page for full details of the fall move in process and timeline.
East Campus and West Campus Apartments open Sunday, August 18, 2019.
Residence halls close at 8 p.m. on Saturday, December 14, 2019.
You are expected to vacate your room within 24 hours of your last exam, or by 8 p.m. on December 14, whichever comes first.
- If you have a late final exam or extenuating travel arrangements, you may request
an extension to remain in your room until 9 a.m. on Sunday. E-mail your community’s
Residence Life Coordinator to request an extension by noon on Friday, November 22, 2019.
- Graduating seniors living in the residence halls can request an extension, but will be required to relocate to a designated building. Any graduating senior wanting to request break housing should email email@example.com by December 2, 2019 at noon.
If you are returning to on-campus housing for the spring 2020 semester, you may leave belongings in your room over the winter break, but be sure to take everything you could need over the break. You will not have access to the building until the halls reopen in January. Your RA will give you specific instructions on how to prep your room for winter break (thaw out refrigerator, set temperature, etc.).
- Note that rooms are not cleaned by our staff over the break. Staff only enters the room to conduct bi-annual pest control or to complete maintenance work.
- Your fall room assignment automatically rolls over for spring.
East Campus Apartments, West Campus Apartments & Nicholson Gateway Apartments
The apartments remain open during the winter break. You may continue to stay in your apartment during the winter break if you are returning for the spring semester. Your fall apartment assignment automatically rolls over for spring.
If you are not returning to campus housing for the spring semester, you must follow the instructions below to cancel your housing contract and remove all belongings.
Graduating seniors living in ECA, WCA and NGW can request an extension, but must request break housing by December 2, 2019 at noon.
Not Returning to On-Campus Housing
If you are not returning to on-campus housing for the spring semester, you must officially cancel your contract with Residential Life staff in Grace King Hall, preferably by December 1, and complete a check out with your community staff.
- First cancel your contract with Res Life staff in Grace King Hall, then schedule an
appointment with your Resident Assistant (RA), remove your belongings, and turn in
your keys by Saturday, December 14, 2019, at 8:00 p.m. Failure to schedule a check-out
appointment with your RA and/or be present for your check-out may result in additional
charges posted to your account.
- If you cancel your contract after December 14, 2019, you must contact us and arrange a set date/time to remove your belongings from your room to avoid penalties.
If you cancel your housing contract for the spring semester, you will automatically be charged a spring semester rent penalty in accordance with the Academic Year Contract (75-100% of the lowest priced room offered). The rent penalty will be included on your spring fee bill and must be paid before your transcripts will be released.
- The rent penalty can be reversed at the time of cancellation if you are (1) transferring
to another university, (2) graduating, or (3) participating in a COOP or exchange
program for spring. Proper documentation must be furnished to staff in Grace King
Hall at the time you cancel your spring reservation to have the rent penalty reversed
at that time.
- If you cancel your spring housing and are not enrolled at LSU for the spring semester, the rent penalty will be removed from your account after the spring semester’s 14th day of class.
Residence halls reopen to all returning students on Saturday, January 11, 2020, at 10 a.m.
- Staff is available to check you in between 10 a.m. – 8 p.m. January 11-12, 2020.
- Checking in outside of these days and times is allowed, however there will be a wait time.
Apartments remain open over the break for students returning for the spring semester.
- All apartment residents must re-check in at your community’s front desk to avoid a lapse in key access to your apartment. Simply go to your front desk to have your key programmed according to instructions emailed to you.
Your room assignment is rolled over from the fall and is held until 11:59 p.m. on January 13, 2020. Notify the Department of Residential Life if you need to arrive later than January 9, otherwise your room assignment and contract will be canceled and you will automatically be charged a spring semester rent penalty in accordance with the housing Academic Year Contract.
Residence Halls, WCA and ECA
Residence halls, WCA and ECA close for the year on Saturday, May 9, 2020 at 8 p.m.
All residents must officially check out within 24 hours of your last final, or by 8 p.m. on May 9, whichever comes first.
If you have a late final exam or extenuating circumstances and need an extension to stay until Sunday at noon, you must email your community’s Residence Life Coordinator for approval by Friday, May 1, 2020, at noon. Please note that any extension may not be in your current assignment.
As a courtesy, graduating seniors can request an extension to remain on campus through Sunday, May 17, 2019, at 1 p.m. You must be pre-approved to remain on campus, and may have to move to an interim space on campus. E-mail the assignments team to request an extension through commencement.
Follow instructions given by your in-hall staff. Failure to complete the check-out process will result in charges. Note that after you complete the check out walk through with your RA and approve your room's condition report, a professional staff member will also inspect the room to confirm its condition before entering any charges to your account.
Students needing spring-to-summer options should come to Grace King Hall to discuss interim housing accommodations.
Nicholson Gateway Apartments
Residents with a 12-month lease do not check out in May. Look for instructions on how and when to have your LSU Tiger Card programmed for continued access to your apartment.
Nicholson Gateway residents with 9.5-month leases check out by May 31, 2020.
- Follow instructions given by your in-hall staff. Failure to complete the check out
process will result in charges.
Note that after you complete the check out walk through with your RA and approve your room's condition report, a professional staff member will also inspect the room to confirm its condition before entering any charges to your account.