Undergraduate Student Expenses
If you are admitted to LSU, you will be required to show funding for the total estimated expenses below to qualify for the SEVIS Form (I-20 or DS-2019). If you wish to enroll in courses during the summer, you should have additional funds available for tuition and fees.
To help you get an idea of your possible expenses, we have put together the following list of estimated costs—including tuition and fees for one academic year and 12 months of living expenses. This estimate is based on a moderate budget; individual expenses will vary.
When reviewing the estimates below, please remember:
- Total expenses includes credit-hour, mandatory, and program fees only. Optional services fees, course-related fees, or miscellaneous fees are not included.
- Tuition and fees are based on 12 credit hours (the minimum number to maintain the F-1/J-1 student status), can vary among programs, and are subject to change without notice.
- Additional costs may be assessed depending on your course of study.
- “Full academic year” includes the fall and spring semesters, but not summer sessions.
- To maintain F or J student status, you must enroll as a full-time student for the fall and spring semesters.
- International students have three additional fees that are not required for students
from the United States.
- International Student Status Compliance fee: $50 per semester. This fee supports advising and technical services to meet federal regulations and provide other essential support for international students.
- International Cultural Center fee: $10 per semester. This fee supports orientation, arrival services and programming for international students.
- U.S. regulations require that international students have health insurance.
You can find the most updated and exact Tuition and Fee costs for each credit hour on the LSU Budget and Planning website.
Estimated expenses for international undergraduate students
|Tuition & Fees||$28,700|
|Books, Supplies & Health Insurance||$3,600|
Note: The insurance cost is subject to change without notice. F-1 and J-1 students are automatically charged and billed for the LSU student health insurance plan upon registration each semester. Waivers may be available to students who have insurance that meets university requirements (and U.S. Department of State requirements for J visa holders). We provide more information on the health insurance requirements in our health insurance section.
Estimated expenses for dependents
If you will be bringing your family, you will also need to be able to show proof of funds for each dependent (spouse and/or child):
- $4,500 per dependent