Required Financial Documentation

Before International Services (ISO) can issue the Form I-20 (F-1) or Form DS-2019 (J-1) Certificate of Eligibility that you need to apply for the appropriate student visa and enter the U.S., you must provide documentation that shows you have the required financial resources for your program. At minimum, you must be able to show proof of funds that cover the total estimated cost of attendancefor the first year of study at LSU. This amount includes tuition, fees, books, health insurance, and living expenses. Your source(s) of financial support should be dependable for the duration of your program of study. 

How can I estimate my expenses?

We have generated an estimate of typical expenses that you can use for planning.

See more information on costs & finances.

What types of proof are acceptable?

When gathering your financial documentation, please keep the following in mind:

  • Bank statements, preferably a one-page letter from your financial institution, must meet the following criteria:
    • Must be legible and translated into English
    • Must be less than six months old
    • Must display both the name of the financial institution and the name of the account holder
    • Must display the available balance and the type of currency for the account (Please do not include the transaction history for the account.)
  • If the bank statement is not in your name, you must also include a signed Letter of Permission.
  • Loan certificates or letters must include your name and the amount of the loan approval.
    • Loan applications are not acceptable as proof of funding.
  • Award and support letters from employers and institutions must be on official business letterhead, be signed, and include the amount and duration of the financial support.
  • The total combined value of all provided financial support documents must cover your total estimated cost of attendance for your program. If the available sponsored funds do not completely cover your costs, you will be required to show proof of additional financial support to receive your I-20 or DS-2019.

We cannot accept the following types of documentation:

  • Income/salary statements
  • Tax returns or tax documents
  • Chartered accountant statements
  • Funds and assets that are not in a liquid form or are not immediately available
  • Insurance policy statements
  • Lines of credit
  • Bank statements from business accounts without an accompanying letter of support from the business owner
  • Property assessments 

How do I submit my Proof of Funding?

Once you have been officially and unconditionally admitted, ISO will email you with instructions on how to complete and submit an Initial I-20/DS-2019 Request to ISO.