Passport Information | LSU International Services

Passport Information

Importance of a Passport

Passports are important documents; they are the basis for your student status, demonstrate permission from your country to be in the United States, and serve as a legal document that indicates your identity and country of citizenship. Your passport must remain valid while you are in the United States for your lawful stay and work authorization. If your passport will expire during your stay, be sure to contact your Embassy or Consulate in the U.S. before the passport expiration date to complete the passport renewal requirements. If you are traveling worldwide, your passport must be valid for at least 6 months in the future.

Find an Embassy or Consulate  

LSU's Role in Passport Renewal

When you apply for an extended/new passport, the University Registrar (located at 112 Thomas Boyd Hall) can provide you with an official letter verifying your enrollment at LSU, if it is needed for your application. Once you have received your new passport information, please provide International Services a copy of your new document. If we do not receive confirmation that your passport is valid, a “hold” will be placed on your IS file.

Tips for Your Passport Application


Below are some helpful tips to remember when submitting your application: 

  • Do not send your original I-20 Form; send a copy instead.
  • Make photocopies of your passport and the entire application before you mail them; keep these photocopies as your record of the application.
  • Send the application and passport to your Embassy or Consulate by an Express Mail Service with a return receipt so you can confirm when your application is received. The U.S. Postal Service can help you find express services and return receipts.
  • Enclose a prepaid, self-addressed return envelope. 

Travel Documents in Lieu of Passport

If you have been issued a Travel Document in lieu of a passport by the government of the country of which you are a resident, please note that the information above regarding passports also applies to Travel Documents.

Lost or Stolen Passport

If you have lost your passport or believe it has been stolen, you must contact your Embassy or Consulate immediately to report this information and to receive instructions on how to gain a replacement.

  • If you have a copy of your passport that you made for yourself, use it to assist in the report and replacement. If you do not have a copy of your passport, the IS may have a copy of your passport in your student file that we can provide to you.
  • In most cases, and especially if you believe your passport has been stolen, the Embassy/Consulate will require a Police Report concerning your lost/stolen document. You may make the report and get this document from the LSU Police (Public Safety Building, South Stadium Road).
  • After you have received your new passport, please send us a copy of your new document so we may update your records.