Andrea E. Morris
Associate Professor of Spanish
Ph.D., Washington University, 2003
Office: 301C Hodges Hall
Area of Interest
20th and 21st century literature and cultures of the Hispanic Caribbean, Afro-Hispanic literature, cultural studies, migration and mobility, critical pedagogy in world language teaching.
- Span 7994: From Cultural Theory to Social Justice Pedagogy: Researching and Teaching Latin American Music and Film (2021)
- Span 4147: Las culturas afro-latinoamericanas: la agencia creativa en la literatura, el cine y la música (2020)
- Span 4147: Música, literatura, y cine del Caribe hispano (2018)
- Span 7946: (Im)mobility in late 20th and 21st Century Dominican and Cuban Cultures (2016)
- Spanish 4200: Literature and Culture of Latinos in the US (2010)
Awards & Honors
LSU Office of Research & Development Faculty Research Grant, 2015-2016; LSU Office
of Research & Development Faculty International Travel Grant, 2014, 2016; LSU applicant
to NEH Summer Stipend Program, 2014; LSU College of Humanities & Social Sciences Manship
Summer Research Award, 2011, 2013, LSU College of Humanities & Social Sciences Manship
Summer Research Award 2017, 2019 LSU Office of Research & Development Faculty Research
LSU applicant to NEH Summer Stipend Program, 2014
- Migrant and Tourist Encounters: The Ethics of Im/mobility in 21st Century Dominican and Cuban Cultures. Routledge, 2020.
- “Creative Control: Navigating Foreign Presence in Contemporary Dominican and Cuban Narrative and Film.” Latin American Literary Review. 45.90 (2018).
- “Cuban Post-Soviet Return and Race in Films by Leonardo Guevara Navarro: Sustaining Transnational Community and Belonging.” Afro-Hispanic Review. 36.2 (2017).
- Afro-Cuban identity in Post-Revolutionary Novel and Film: Inclusion, Loss, and Cultural Resistance. Bucknell University Press, 2012.
- Symposium "Migration, Nation, and Identity in the Caribbean," University of Kentucky (2021)
- "21st Century Migrant and Tourist Mobilities: Dominican and Cuban Encounters Abroad," Austin College, Sherman, TX(2020)
- "Dominican Im/mobilities: Transnational Encounters in/with Film and Literature," Im|mobile lives in turbulent times: Methods and Practices of Mobilities Research, Northumbria University (2021)
- “Forced Encounters: The Potential for Connecting Across Difference in the Dominican Film ‘Sambá’” 28th International Congress of FILLM, The International Federation for Modern Languages and Literatures (UNESCO), Vienna, Austria. (2021)
- ACTFL Summer Learning Series on Social Justice (2021)
- Faculty Research Institute, LSU Office of Research and Development (2020)
Service to the Community and LSU
- Spanish Undergraduate Advisor (2009-2011, 2017-2018)
- Hispanic Studies Graduate Studies Advisor (2013-2016)
- LSU Museum of Art, Community outreach and public lecture - art exhibition at LSU Museum of Art: “Destination Latin America” (2019)
- Forward Arts, Baton Rouge, LA, Provided bilingual materials for poetry workshops in local public schools (2016)
- Humanities Scholar/Discussion Leader for Louisiana Endowment for the Humanities Grant program, Prime Time Family
- Reading, ESL program East Baton Rouge Public Schools (Spring 2012, 2013, 2020)
- Spanish Undergraduate Studies Committee (2004-2013, 2016-present)
- Spanish Graduate Studies Committee (2013-2016)
- Department of World Languages Peer Evaluation Committee (2013-2016; 2019-2021)