Dr. Lake Douglas
Associate Professor - Landscape Architecture
Bachelor's Degree(s): Bachelor of Landscape Architecture, College of Environmental Design, Louisiana State University
Master's Degree: Master of Landscape Architecture, Graduate School of Design, Harvard University
PhD: Doctor of Philosophy, Urban Studies/Urban History, College of Urban and Public Affairs, University of New Orleans
Phone: (225) 578-9222
Office: 204 Design Building
Area of Interest
Garden History; Arts Administration and Public Art Planning; Nonprofit Management and Public Administration; Freelance Writing
Awards & Honors
• Post-doctoral stipend, Dumbarton Oaks, Washington DC, Summer, 2009
• “Rainmaker Award” 2008, LSU Office of Research & Economic Development
• Merit Award, LA Chapter, ASLA, 2008: Lafitte Corridor Master Plan, Friends of Lafitte Corridor; Brown+Danos landdesign, Baton Rouge
• Director’s Award, School of Landscape Architecture, College of Art + Design, LSU, 2005
• Unsung Hero” award, Historic Preservation Professional Interest Group, ASLA, 2003
• Honor Award, LA Chapter, ASLA, 2002: “In Search of Yesterday’s Gardens: Landscapes of 19th-Century New Orleans”
• Book of the Year (2001) by the New Orleans-Gulf South Booksellers Association: Gardens of New Orleans: Exquisite Excess
• Honor Award, LA Chapter, ASLA, Writing/Publication, 1998
• "Cultural determinants in landscape typologies" Journal of Garden History, 1996
• Merit Award, LA Chapter, ASLA, Writing/Publication, 1994, Site Perspectives
• Williams Graduate Research Fellowship, Historic New Orleans Collection, 1993
• Honor Award, LA Chapter, American Planning Association, Planning Reports, 1989
• Honor Award, ASLA, Writing/Publications, 1985: Garden Design
• Merit Award, LA Chapter, ASLA, Writing/Publications, 1984
• PUBLIC SPACES, PRIVATE GARDENS: The Designed Landscape of New Orleans, Baton Rouge: Louisiana State University Press, anticipated 2011
• Public Art Handbook for Louisiana Communities, Baton Rouge: State of Louisiana, Louisiana Division of the Arts, Baton Rouge, 2001
• NEW ORLEANS GARDENS: Exquisite Excess, San Francisco: Chronicle Books, 2001
• Hillside Gardening, New York: Simon & Schuster, 1987
• Oxford Companion to Gardens, essays; London: Oxford University Press, 1986
• Site Perspectives, New York: Van Norstrand Reinhold, 1986
• Garden Design, chapter, New York: Simon & Schuster, 1984
• A Garden Heritage, Little Rock: Arkansas Territorial Restoration, co-authored, 1983
•"Gardens" in the New Encyclopedia of Southern Culture, Vol. 21: Art and Architecture, Judith H. Bonner and Estill Curtis Pennington, eds. (University of North Carolina Press, 2013), p 81.
•"Certain pleasures, ambiguous backgrounds: the etymology and evolution of the pleasure garden" in Journal of Landscape Architecture, (European Council of Architecture Schools, Spring 2013), pp 48-53.
• "Pleasure Gardens in Nineteenth-Century New Orleans: 'Useful for All Classes of Society' " in The Pleasure Garden, from Vauxhall to Coney Island, Jonathan Conlin, ed., (University of Pennsylvania Press, Spring 2013), pp 150-176.
• Articles (over 50) have appeared in the following professional, technical, and popular publications: Landscape Architecture; Landscape Journal; Journal of Landscape Architecture (European Union); Architectural Record; Louisiana Cultural Vistas; Metalsmith; Glass Works Magazine; Journal of Garden History (London); Progressive Architecture; Metropolis; World of Interiors (London); Decoration Internationale (Paris); Architectural Digest; Garden Design; Southern Accents.
• Book reviews (over 250) for Landscape Architecture; Architectural Record; Journal of Landscape Architecture; Journal of the Society of Industrial Archeology; Journal of the New England Garden History Society; Studies in the Designed Landscape; Design Book Review; Society of Architectural Historians; Garden Design.