Enrolled Student Frequently Asked Questions 


Students collaborating in classWhen is new graduate student orientation?

Graduate student orientation is held each August on the Wednesday before classes start. You will also receive an email notification of orientation if your application has been completely processed and you are admitted by August 1.

Does LSU offer a health insurance policy that graduate students can enroll in?

Yes. Please see the Student Health Center, Gallagher’s homepage, and the health insurance FAQ for more information.

What are the guidelines regarding research ethics and academic integrity?

All students are responsible for familiarizing themselves with the LSU's Code of Student Conduct. Additionally, please consult the Office of Research Compliance.

The Dean’s Representative on my committee is no longer at the University or will be unable to participate in my exam. How do I get a new one?

Please contact the Graduate School Dean's Office and include the following information in your email: degree program, graduate minors (if applicable), list of existing committee members, and defense date (if applicable).

I’d like to add an additional member or change a thesis/dissertation committee member. What should I do?

First, ensure that the new member has Graduate Faculty status and discuss the addition/change with your committee chair. Your committee chair and department chair will then send a memo to the Graduate Student Services office stating that you would like to add a person to the committee or change someone in the committee.

How long does it take for the Graduate School to process my form or petition?

In general, forms and petitions are processed in 5-10 business days.


Back to Top


Registration and Enrollment

  What is the Graduate School’s readmission policy?

Previously enrolled graduate students who fail to enroll for three or more consecutive semesters, including summer term, must reapply.

How do I drop a course?

As long as you are not dropping your only class for the current semester, you can drop on myLSU until the drop deadline. If you are on a graduate assistantship, are a degree candidate for the current semester, or are an international student, you may not drop below full-time status (9 graduate hours). To drop your only class for the semester, you must officially resign from the university by filling out a Resignation/Cancellation of Registration form. This form can be picked up in the lobby of W. David Boyd Hall. The form must be delivered to and signed by several other offices on campus; once complete, it is turned in to the Bursar’s office in 125 Thomas Boyd Hall.

Where do I get a copy of my LSU transcript?

Copies of your transcript may be ordered through myLSU.

Can doctoral students transfer course work from other universities?

Please contact your department for further information.

How do I change my degree program?

If changing degrees within the same department, your graduate advisor should send a memo to the Program Officer for your college. If applying to change to a degree in a different department, you must fill out a Change of Department form and submit it according to the instructions.

Can I take a semester off?

Please contact your department for further information.

What is the time limit for a degree program?

The time limit for a Master’s Degree program is five years. Doctoral degrees must be complete within seven years.


Back to Top


Tuition and Fees

  I am being charged nonresident and/or tuition, but I am a graduate assistant. What do I do?

Make sure that your department has processed the appropriate appointment before the semester deadlines (March 1, July 1, or October 1). It usually takes 4-5 working days to process an appointment. Check your Billing Statement on myLSU to see if the adjustment has been made. 

Am I eligible to become a Louisiana resident?

Please see PM-31 and Louisiana residency for tuition purposes for further information.

How do I pay my registration fees?

Fees can be paid online through myLSU by bank draft or credit card. Fees can also be paid with cash, check, or credit card at the Bursar’s Office, 125 Thomas Boyd Hall.


Back to Top




Where do I find information on formatting and submitting my thesis or dissertation?

Please see our Thesis and Dissertation Formatting and Submission Information page.

How do I make an appointment with the thesis and dissertation reviewer?

You can make an appointment by phone at 225-578-2311. You can also visit the lobby of W. David Boyd Hall for scheduling.

I have an appointment with the thesis and dissertation reviewer. What should I bring and where should I go?

Bring one unbound copy of your PDF document, printed on plain paper, and check-in in the lobby of W. David Boyd Hall.

Do I have to submit my document electronically? Does it have to be a PDF?

Yes. The thesis and dissertation guidelines packet explains how to format your document.

Can I embargo or restrict online access to my thesis or dissertation?

Information on embargoes can be found in the thesis and dissertation guidelines packet.


Back to Top



  Where can I get the forms required for graduation?

Final exam requests (commonly referred to as the dissertation defense) and application for degree forms are available. View forms required for graduation.

How can I confirm that all my paperwork has been received?

Please consult the instructions for checking the status of your paperwork on myLSU. 

What are the deadlines for graduation this semester?

Important deadlines and dates are listed on the Graduate School calendar.


I need to apply to graduate during summer session. How do I apply?

The procedure is the same as for regular semesters. The relevant dates are listed on the Graduate School calendar and the Academic Calendar.

I would like to change the date of my exam. Do I need to submit a new form?

No, you do not need to submit a new exam request. Simply email Graduate Student Services the new date. Include the following information in your email: degree program, graduate minors (if applicable), and list of existing committee members.

What are the fees for graduation?

Fees will appear on your regular fee bill.

  • Master’s degree fee—$35; processing fee, $20
  • Doctoral degree fee—$55; processing fee, $35
  • Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree fee, $40
  • Duplicate diploma fee—$20 (charged if a diploma is ordered and student does not graduate at that commencement)
  • Replacement diploma fee—$30

How can I get a letter of completion?

You can request this document via email or by visiting the lobby of W. David Boyd Hall. You must have completed all degree requirements and not be enrolled in any coursework. There is a 7-10 day processing time for these letters. The original can be mailed out directly or picked up in person. You may also request a .PDF copy of this letter sent via email.

I’d like to be Degree Only, but I’m not sure what it means. How do I become Degree Only?

To be eligible for Degree Only registration, you must have already defended your thesis or dissertation by the commencement date in a previous semester and completed all required course work. Degree Only registration means that you are registering for the Degree Only and are not considered an enrolled student. If you desire to register Degree Only, you must have completed and submitted your thesis or dissertation by the degree only deadline. The document must be submitted in advance of the deadline to ensure staff has adequate time to review and you have time to make required corrections. Documents must be approved and registration must be completed by 4:30 p.m. on the deadline date listed on the Graduate School calendar.