Final Exam Information
Friday, May 1, 2020; 9:40 a.m.
Dear LSU faculty, instructors and teaching graduate assistants:
Thank you for your hard work and determination to make this switch to remote learning the best possible experience for our students. As we quickly approach the semester end and final examination period, I want to draw your attention to some critical pieces.
The final examination schedule was originally designed to accommodate testing within a limited physical space. Our remote environment means that those constraints have changed and we now have to get students into Moodle, and in some cases, into a proctored testing environment like ProctorU. For those of you who have used the Testing Center for your finals, this is nothing new. For the rest of the faculty that are giving final exams, please shift your testing approach to a wider window which includes the two hours of the original finals schedule, but is not restricted to it.
- ProctorU requires a wide window of time for class examinations as each test taker requires a person to validate their identity and begin their examination. If you have any questions about your previously scheduled ProctorU exam and would like to extend the testing window, the Office of Testing and Evaluation Services (OTES) is available for support. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible.
- If you are not using proctoring services, please consider the other mitigating factors which are impacting student assessments via the Moodle quiz functionality, including technology limitations and possible weather-related interference when setting your examination windows. The Faculty Technology Center is happy to help you build out your exams in Moodle, and to share best practices to reduce your anxiety over this new testing mechanism.
- Alternative assessments are the best option at this late date as opposed to Moodle tests, particularly as simultaneous usage of the quiz function by thousands of students could cause the system to go down. Some recommendations can be found here:
- For students with disabilities who may need accommodations, please see the resource link below.
- Updates are being posted regularly on the Faculty Support Site; we also have extended hypercare hours for faculty through the end of the Spring term and into the beginning of the Summer term, which is available 7:30 a.m. - 6 p.m. during the week, and 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. on weekends. The FTC is available by email email@example.com or telephone at 225-578-5739.
- There is some potential for system slowdowns as the whole nation is online using some of the same technologies in similar finals time frames. We have plans in place for communication with faculty and students if this occurs, and have been working closely with our technology providers to ensure they are as prepared as they can be for our usage requirements.
As a reminder, final grades for the Spring semester are due May 12 for degree candidates and May 13 for non-degree candidates. Refer to the LSU Academic Calendar for these important deadlines.
As soon as your successful Spring term concludes, please begin preparing for Summer term online courses, and any courses with an online component for Fall. Our training schedule is available online and the Instructional Design Team and FTC are ready to help!
We ask that you be sure to forward this email to any of your teaching assistants or instructors of record. Thank you again for your dedication, your flexibility, and your passion for your students and their success.
The Office of Academic Affairs