What is Online Accessibility and Why is it Important?
What is online accessibility?
- Publishing online content that works for users with a wide range of abilities and disabilities.
- Ensuring that online content works with a broad range of assistive technologies.
- Readily providing equally effective alternative access for users to receive information or services if the primary online method does not work.
Why is online accessibility important?
- Demonstrates inclusiveness and makes all materials usable for people of all abilities.
- Access to information and communications technologies, including the web, is defined as a basic human right in the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UN CRPD).
- Adhering to accessibility standards improves the website experience for all users and makes it easier for users to accomplish tasks and complete goals.
- Accessibility overlaps with other best practices such as mobile web design, device independence, multi-modal interaction, usability, design for older users, and search engine optimization (SEO).
- It's the law.