Family Experience Monthly Updates
Below are LSU Olinde Career Center excerpts from the monthly Family Experience Newsletter.
New Year, 8 New Career Resolutions! ...
Welcome to 2018! With the new year upon us, we offer students a fresh approach by recommending eight Career Resolutions for spring 2018. Please encourage your son or daughter to consider the following resolutions:
1. I will start fresh by reviewing the Four-Year Career Plan in January to ensure I am taking all the right actions to succeed
3. I will take or review my Career Assessments offered by the LSU Olinde Career Center to crystalize my career options
4. I will network with professionals in my field of interest to confirm that the field is a good fit
5. I will start now to find a summer job or internship related to my field to gain professional experience
7. I will upload my resume into the Careers2Geaux system
8. I will “Suit Up” like a pro at the JCPenney special LSU student-only event!
Please encourage your student to take charge of their future by fulfilling their New Year’s Career Resolutions!
We at the LSU Olinde Career Center wish much happiness and success in 2018. We are open during the Winter Break (except during university closure, December 25 through January 2) and available for student appointments and services. Check out the resources and services the LSU Olinde Career Center has to offer on our website lsu.edu/careercenter or by visiting 158 LSU Student Union. Office hours: Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Contact us at 225-578-2162 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The new year brings a busy season of on-campus recruiting events and career opportunities for students including the Career Expo on Feb. 7, on-campus interviews and more.
Does your student have professional attire “and all the trimmings” like shoes, shirts, belts, ties and other accessories to carry them into a bright new year? Perhaps gift giving for your student might include something very practical that also prepares them with a professional image to ensure confidence and success.
If your student is a senior graduating this year, or a sophomore or junior seeking a summer internship, this is a very good time to prepare and polish up their wardrobe.
Suit Up with JCPenney, Jan. 28
The LSU Olinde Career Center is partnering with JCPenney for the second Suit Up event, scheduled for January 28 from 6:30 - 10 p.m. at Mall of Louisiana JCPenney. Last semester, the event attracted 700 LSU students who were able to purchase business attire at a 70% discount during hours open only to LSU students.
Networking for the Holidays
For students of any level, the holidays are a wonderful time to network and learn about careers while mixing and mingling with family, neighbors and friends. Encourage your student to be career-minded in conversations to make the most of holiday gatherings.
Our office will be open during regular hours, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. through 4:30 p.m. throughout the winter break except from December 22 through January 2, when the university is closed. Students who are in the area are encouraged to schedule an appointment to meet with our counselors and career coaches during this time.
November is Career Month in Louisiana!
The LSU Olinde Career Center has 3 suggestions for you to assist your student:
- This month students will be registering for summer and fall classes. If your student is struggling in their major, or not sure where that degree will take them, then it’s time to consider options. The Career Center is here to help with career guidance and assessments accessible on our website or through one-on-one career counseling appointments.
- Did you know employers are now hiring for summer internships and the best opportunities will soon be gone? Have your student save the date for the upcoming Summer Jobs Fair, Tuesday, February 20, 2017. Resources for your student: Students can schedule appointments with our job search coaches for help with finding jobs and internships, resume writing and mock interviews. Or check out Careers2Geaux for job postings, and more.
Is graduate or professional school a possibility? Our staff and web resources can help your student through the self-evaluation and application process to make a great choice.
Check It Out, and Check It Off!
Did you know that your student should be following the Four Year Career Plan? Here are some guidelines for your student to Check It Out and Check It Off for career success:
- Assess - If your student is undecided about a college major or is struggling in a major, now is the time to take action! Career Assessments are available free of charge or for a greatly reduced student rate of $10 each. Career counseling and coaching appointments are free!
- Gain Experience - October is a good time to explore and apply for internships. Yes, it may seem surprising, but many of the best summer internships are scooped up in October and November!
- Develop a Strategy - Students planning to graduate in December or May should be well along the job search path. Our career counselors and coaches offer job search strategy sessions, resume critiques and interview preparation appointments for those entering the job search and a graduate school workshop series for those planning to attend graduate or professional school. The Get into Grad School Workshop Series is open to students at all levels.